Industrial grade mini RS485 / RS422 to USB converter similar to our part MWE820A, the difference between the two is that this converter has industrial grade specifications, with working temperatures from -40 to +85 degree Celsius. The housing is made of hardened ABS plastic with a reinforced terminal header for easy connection of communication wires.
This RS485 to USB converter is electrically protected against static electricity, high voltage spikes and other dangerous voltage spikes which can damage your equipment or data signaling. This protection is accomplished by four TVS's (Transient Voltage Suppressors), one for each data line.
Power for this converter is provided from the USB port so there is no need for an external power supply. It is designed around the high performance and very reliable FT232RL processor chip from FTDI, so it is fully compatible with all versions of Windows, Mac and Linux.
This particular RS485 to USB converter is designed mainly for industrial environments but is also suitable for most other applications including any general office, commercial and laboratory environment.
It is a bi-directional, (meaning it communicates in both directions) and reliable converter that easily lets you connect any RS485 or RS422 device directly to your computer's USB port, efficiently converting USB signals to half-duplex RS485 or full-duplex RS422 and vice versa.
After installation of the included drivers the virtual COM port will automatically show up in your computer's Device Manager and can be accessed as if it was a standard built-in COM port.
The RS485 / RS422 end is a standard 5-screw terminal header for easy connection of single wires.
Automatic send data control is enabled by default so no external flow or handshake control is needed.
- USB port-powered converter
- High-performance chipset
- Output 1: RS485 2-wire half duplex
- Output 2: RS422 4-wire full duplex
- Interface: Terminal screw connections
- Automatic Send Control
- Guaranteed genuine non-clone FTDI processor chips
using Windows WHQL certified drivers (beware of clones)
- Compatible with Modbus RTU/ASCII and BACnet
- Up to 32 nodes in network configuration
- Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8 (32/64-bit), Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 / R2, Windows 7 (32/64-bit), Windows Server 2008 R2, Vista (32/64-bit), Windows Server 2008 (32/64-bit), XP, Windows Server 2003 (32/64-bit), 2000, (all WHQL compliant). Windows RT as D2XX drivers only.
- Windows CE v4.2 - 5.2, 6.0, 7.0 and 2013 including: Windows Mobile 2003, 2003 SE, Windows Mobile 5, 6, 6.1 and 6.5
- Linux (built into kernel 3.0.0-19 and above)
- Mac OS 8, OS 9, OS X 10.3 to 10.9 and above
|Unique chipID no.
||Yes, each converter has it own unique ID number which can be accessed by the user with the D2XX driver programmers guide.
|RS485 / RS422 Interface
||Screw terminal header
|RS485 output power
||3.60VCD (between D+ and GND)
|Fail-safe bias resistors
||Standard Type A Male
||TX, RX and Power
||1-port availble for RS485 and RS422 individually
||RS485, 2-wire half duplex: D+, D-, GND
RS422, 4-wire full duplex: TX+, TX-, RX+, RX-, GND
||300-921.600bps (up to 3Mbps by using alising)
|| None, Odd, Even, Mark, Space
|TX / RX buffer size
||256 Byte Transmit Buffer / 128 Byte Receive Buffer
|Adjustable USB transfer sizes for TX and RX
||From 64 bytes to 4096 bytes
|Adjustable latency timer
||1 to 255 msec
|Adjustable read and write timeouts
||0 to 10000 msec
||None, Xon/Xoff, Hardware
|COM port accessible by
||Included virtual COM port drivers or FTD2XX.DLL
- Compatible with Modbus RTU/ASCII, BACnet
- Supports non-standard baud rates
- Automatic Send Control
|Electrostatic (ESD) protection
||600W surge protection, 15KV static electricity protection
||Static: less than 80mA. Dynamic average: less than 150mA
||USB1.1,2.0,3.0, EIA/TIA RS-232
||FCC, CE and RoHS
||Operating: -13°F to 158°F (-25°C to 70°C)
Storage: -40°F to 185°F (-40°C to 85°C)
||63 x 34 x 13mm
||1 year limited warranty
For alternative USB to serial RS485 and RS422 solutions please see our full selection of USB to Serial RS485 converters