We have decided to no longer sell Moxa products. Please see our selection of alternative solutions.
If you are familiar with the MOXA brand then you know that it stands for high quality and reliability. This is why we recommend the MOXA UPort 1130 USB to RS485 / RS422 converter as a top of the line product which can be used for almost any serial application where reliability and performance is critical. The price is higher than other converters of this type but the extra cost is well worth it if you want the best.
This USB to RS485 / RS422 converter is ideal for most applications and environments such as office, laboratory, server rooms and light commercial environments, however we do not recommend this converter for industrial factory environments since it does not have optical isolation. For factory automation and related environments we recommend the UPort 1050I which has full optical isolation to protect the converter and your equipment against voltage spikes. The UPort 1130 does however have up to 15KV electro static protection to protect against static electricity.
Drivers for this USB to RS485 / RS422 converter is available for most versions of Windows including Windows 8 and the latest Windows Server version. Linux and Android drivers are also available.
Once the drivers has been installed and the converter is connected to your computer's USB port, a virtual COM port will be created in the operating system. This virtual COM port can be accessed via Device Manager almost as if it was a built-in serial port. Several port settings such as baud rate and data bits can be changed via Device Manager.
Most converters of this type only supports 2-wire RS485 and RS422, however a nice feature this converter has is that it supports both 2-wire RS485 and 4-wire RS485, in addition to RS422 signaling.
Communication wires can be connected directly to the DB9 connector however included with each converter is a DB9 screw terminal header block which makes connecting single wires easy.
The UPort 1110 also has an extensive number of regulatory approvals and certifications such as EMC (CE, FCC), EMI, EMS and RoHS approvals. Please see the datasheet for details.
- Port powered USB to RS485 / RS422 converter
- High performance and reliability MOXA brand
- Texas Instruments processor chip
- Supports 2-wire and 4-wire RS485
- Indication LED lights for TX and RX activity
- WHQL compliant COM drivers included
- Hexagonal nut stand-offs for securing the interface
- USB Plug and Play with Windows 7 and 8
- Auto detection of data speed
- Automatic Data Direction Control
- Built-in 15 KV ESD electrostatic protection
- DB9 terminal header block included
- Windows 8 32/64, Windows 7 32/64, Server 2012, Vista 32/64, Server 2008 32/64, XP 32/64, Server 2003 32/64
- Linux 2.4.x, 2.6.x, 3.0.x
- Windows CE 6.0, 5.0
||Texas Instruments TUSB3410
||DB9 Male + included DB9 screw terminal block
||Standard Type A Male
||TX, RX and Power
||RS485: 2-wire: Data+ (B), Data- (A), GND
RS485: 4-wire: TX+ (B), TX- (A), RX+ (B), RX- (A), GND
RS422: TX+ (B), TX- (A), RX+ (B), RX- (A), GND
|RS485 Data Direction
||ADDC (Automatic Data Direction Control)
||50 bps to 921.6 Kbps
|| None, Even, Odd, Space, Mark
||5, 6, 7, 8
||1, 1.5, 2
|TX / RX buffer size
||64 bytes FIFO
|COM port accessible by
||Included virtual COM port drivers
|Electrostatic (ESD) protection
||60 mA at 5 VDC
||USB 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, EIA/TIA RS485, RS422
||ABS + PC
- EMC: CE, FCC
- EMI: EN 55022 Class B, EN 61000-3-2, EN 61000-3-3, FCC Part 15 Subpart B Class B
- EMS: EN 55024, IEC 61000-4-2, IEC 61000-4-3, IEC 61000-4-4, IEC 61000-4-5, IEC-61000-4-6, IEC 61000-4-8, IEC-61000-4-11
- Green product: RoHS, CRoHS, WEEE
||38.4 x 60 x 20 mm (1.51 x 2.36 x 0.79 in)
||65 g (0.14 lb)
||0 to 55°C (32 to 131°F)
|Ambient Relative Humidit
|| 5 to 95% (non-condensing)
|MTBF (mean time between failures)
||1,949,025 hrs, Telcordia (Bellcore), GB database
||5 years limited warranty
For alternative USB to serial solutions please see our full selection of USB to Serial RS232 adapters